X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Gunner vs Commando

Often when players compare these units, the perception is usually that Commando is the better of the two. Commando has a much higher fire rate, better range, better health, and a lower deploy cost.

Since the patch I've been running running Machine Gunner and Commando in the same squad. With the new vet medals I'm able to track their progress on which unit is more successful in terms of dealing damage and therefore vetting up numbers. Even though my Commandos look overall better on paper and are better equipped Diamond Fire Rate, Diamond Health, Ultra Damage, Endless Clip, and a level 3 regeneration hat, compared to my Machine Gunner who is essentially wasting a spot in having to run ultra minimum wage in order to be practical, ultra fire rate, ultra damage, endless, clips and a level 3 fire rate hat. Even with that, the Commando still has the superior fire rate by 9.5 bullets. Despite the Commando having better overall stats and being better equipped, I'm seeing significantly higher amounts of Machine Gunner's vetting up than I am with the Commando, 49 Commandos, 69 Machine Gunners.

I find that to be rather interesting and just thought I'd share. Can't always judge a book by its cover or a unit by its stats.

Due to Commando slower cooldown (17 sec) you spawn more MGs (10 sec) than Commandos,
    use Rapid Deployment Perk to Commando instead of Health (ultra perk 10,37 sec- diamond perk 9.35 sec)
    and you're gonna get the same amount of MG and Commando Veterans.

From my experience I think you're gonna get more Commando vets than MG.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r_gSfUoe3I
    http://www.youtube.com/odytsak
    PS4/Steam: odytsak

Comment

• Kenpo_Kid69
      Kenpo_Kid69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure, I might give that a try. The reason I run the health for them is I think it makes it much easier to get them to gold status and behind cover with regeneration, they're practically bunkers on defense.

I'm certain that different units have different targets as far as leveling up as Veterans.
    This we can be sure of because if all units had the same target levels then we'd NEVER see Veteran Riots, Medics or Surgeons.

My impression when I was running Commandos and Machine Gunners alongside each other was that the bar had been set higher for the Commando. The difference really made itself clear with how difficult it could be to get Commandos to be 3 star Veterans.

Comment

• Kenpo_Kid69
      Kenpo_Kid69 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's true, that's very possible they have a lower bar than the Commando. In my experiences playing the game though, I've always felt the Commando was one of the easiest units to get to gold vet status.

Originally posted by Kenpo_Kid69 View Post
    I'm seeing significantly higher amounts of Machine Gunner's vetting up than I am with the Commando, 49 Commandos, 69 Machine Gunners.
    Could it be that your Machine Gunners are dying out more after reaching Veteran Tier 1 (Bronze) while Commandos are staying alive to reach higher Veteran Tiers?

As far as I can tell, leveling up as Veteran has no bearing on Accolades count. Ideally you want them to get to Tier 1, die, and get replaced by next spawned unit that can reach Tier 1.
    Alliance: Helldivers
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/cusman

Comment

• Kenpo_Kid69
      Kenpo_Kid69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Its possible, sure.

Also you get more Machine Gunners than you do Commandos because of the quicker deploy time. Personally though, I think the main reason the Machine Gunner is doing so well is because of his higher accuracy. I run accuracy on several of my units, Units that are considered inferior, generally. So like Assault and Mercenary and I always get a ton of vets from those units after successful battles. Which I usually just toss in favor of stronger and more expensive units like Snipers.

• cusman
      cusman commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish they had put count for Accolades Medal requirements more reasonable based on Unit Type instead of wanting 5000 Veterans for each ones Accolades Medal.

I mean Rangers for me are racking up counts fast, but units like Flamer / Chemist or Colonel even would take significantly longer to get to 5000. More over, making Rangers / Commandos / Bombardiers / Snipers Veteran is natural, but many of the others (Riot / Engineer / Assault) will require going out of way.

My commando''s level up nicely. I've gotten far more 3 diamond vets from them than any other unit.

Comment

machine gunners on the bench here....i think commando is the 3rd best unit in the game...behind the medic and riot

Comment

commando withe fire rate, accuracy and damage with the endless clip is devestating

Comment

Originally posted by bigjoewhiskey View Post
          commando withe fire rate, accuracy and damage with the endless clip is devestating
          That's actually what I've been running lately. Accuracy on the Commando is very good yes.

I also tried running rapid deploy as suggested, but my only with that was that I was running into pacing problems in deploying my units. I just didn't have the funds to keep popping out Commandos at that higher rate and so while decent enough, it felt a bit pointless.

Comment

• bigjoewhiskey
            bigjoewhiskey commented
            Editing a comment
            hell, on most bases all you really need is about 5 commandos with the above setup and then a bunch of surgeons, medics and tanks and your good to go.....commandos are a no go on bombardier bases

Cusman Posted:

I wish they had put count for Accolades Medal requirements more reasonable based on Unit Type instead of wanting 5000 Veterans for each ones Accolades Medal.

I mean Rangers for me are racking up counts fast, but units like Flamer / Chemist or Colonel even would take significantly longer to get to 5000. More over, making Rangers / Commandos / Bombardiers / Snipers Veteran is natural, but many of the others (Riot / Engineer / Assault) will require going out of way.

I get your point, but I think one could also make the argument that by making them the same, they are already all different. Its going to different loadouts and approaches to vet up every unit and that is going to force people to try different strategies with their loadouts. In the last loadout I was running for example, I was getting a ton of gold vet flamers. Sometimes even on level 1 bases. I've gotten a whole squad of gold Riots before just by them trying to spam and destroy anti-air towers. So it is possible and that will be part of the fun in trying to figure out the optimal way of vetting each and every unit and earn all the new trophies.

Comment

Easiest gold veterans to get snipers bombardiers riots flamers

Comment

Its going to different loadouts and approaches to vet up every unit and that is going to force people to try different strategies with their loadouts
              Sure, but we are talking about doing something 5000 times over

I've gotten a whole squad of gold Riots before just by them trying to spam and destroy anti-air towers.
              I mean who would want to do that 5000 times over so that their Riot units should they ever become Veteran in natural play get 3.5% boost to their Veteran Benefits?

Thinking about how motivated I was to get 100% Medals, the one where I spent the most time was definitely the Chemist

I don't like spending time passively watching time crawl in CPU Defend (time based original nor the new one score based one) or even the Wave mode in Guns Up!, so I got my Chemist's Chemical Veil Medal very very slowly (takings many months) from use of Chemist in PvP battles

Even after getting that +20% Poison Duration, the Chemist is still one of the weaker units in PvP (second worst only after maybe those Assault chumps). Unlike Assault, they are at least still formidable for strong base defenses for creative defenders.

I think what will happen here is that even people like me that were very driven to get all the Medals as part of their enjoyment of Guns Up! will decide not to bother with even attempting to get Accolades Medal for units that don't rack up the 5000 accolade counts required through natural play.
              Last edited by cusman; 03-19-2018, 05:08 AM.

Comment

• Kenpo_Kid69
                Kenpo_Kid69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Its going to be quite the grind for sure, but I'm in no rush, I'll just keep steadily plodding along till I get them all. Just play the game like you normally would, you'll get them all eventually I'm sure. I think for yourself, Odystak, Bobo, Rabah or whoever likes making Guns Up vids. That its a good opportunity to make some nice tutorial youtube vids on how to quickly and best vet each unit.

I really like both those units, Assault and Chemist. Chemist can shoot through wall and rock gaps and will often be one of your stronger counter attacker units in those maze type bases. I let my chemist and flamer take the front and do their thing. Its not so much about his damage and more about his status effect of making units stagger which makes it easy for your other units to mop up.

Assault is a bit pricey, but they are so fast and do so much damage. If you can keep them alive long enough with decoys or riot or whatever, they do an insane amount of damage and they do it rather quickly.

I really like those events the devs have been doing. Play a certain unit and you earn perks. I've really grown to appreciate alot of the less appreciated units because of them.

I think for yourself, Odystak, Bobo, Rabah or whoever likes making Guns Up vids. That its a good opportunity to make some nice tutorial youtube vids on how to quickly and best vet each unit.
              By chance, I uploaded new video titled Engineering Veterans earlier today. I'll make a separate post about it.

Comment

Kenpo_Kid69, what is the perk setup/loadout you use to get gold Flamer vets? I'm having a rough time trying to earn their Accolades. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X