X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Special Operation: Assault Strike

Special Operation: Deploy 500 Assault units to earn one Level 1 Speed Perk. Repeatable
    Duration: 2 weeks starting today

I guess I'll be benching my Grunts for next two weeks and using Assault instead. Many losses ahead, but Speed perks are worth it.

Edit: Hasn't been too bad with the 2 White Skulls and Speed perks are a good reward. Video below shows some battles where I just replaced Grunts with Assaults and otherwise very little tweak to the play style.

Last edited by cusman; 06-14-2018, 01:12 PM.
    Alliance: Helldivers
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/cusman

500 assaults is way, waaayyyyy too much for a lvl1 speed perk. No sir, I will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Maus_1908 View Post
      500 assaults is way, waaayyyyy too much for a lvl1 speed perk. No sir, I will pass.
      Yeah I agree number is set too high for this mission. Its the same as grunts, but grunts of course are much cheaper.

Comment

• Last Special Operation was 750 Grunts per Level 1 Rapid Deployment Perk and you get 5 for 100 Munitions.
        • New Special Operation is 500 Assaults per Level 1 Speed Perk and you get 4 for 150 Munitions.
        Looks to me like the new Special Operation has same ratio by cost (100 / 150 = .66 and 500 / 750 = .66). So I don't think the requirement on new special operation is particularly more burdensome when compared to the last special operation.

The main challenge will be using Assault units when Grunts are the more popular / reliable choice because in this game Range and Cost are both better stats to have in favor than other stats.

Comment

I am an airhead when it comes to math (I feel NO shame xD) so please correct me if Im wrong. I run my grunts at 41 a pop, and assaults at 92 a pop.

Grunt event requires 750/5=150 spawns at 41 a pop= 6150 total cost for 1 card.
          Assault event requires 500/4=125 spawns at 92 a pop=11500 for 1 card.

So that is almost double the total cost it requires to get 1 card in my belief. This is coupled with your valid arguments that I dont ever run assaults and that they are kind of useless (i cant kill hq squads with them) . This makes me want to skip this, while the funny thing is that I really really need those speed perks.

Btw I understand that not every event will be to my liking and that is very reasonable as different people want different things, happy hunting folks
          Last edited by Maus_1908; 06-14-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I am an airhead when it comes to math (I feel NO shame xD) so please correct me if Im wrong
            I feel it is important to keep things apples to apples. I am not sure you are using same Minimum Wage price cut for both to get 41 and 92 because a 59% price cut on Assaults base of 150 wold be 61.5 (much less than the 92 you are getting).

Anyway, using same logic, but keeping to base cost without any Minimum Wage / Army Surplus

750 / 5 = 150 Deploys. At cost of 100 per Deploy, it would cost 15,000
            500 / 4 = 125 Deploys. At cost of 150 per Deploy, it would cost 18,750

So cost wise, getting 500 Assault units is 20% more expensive (15000 / 18750 = .2) than 750 Grunts

This matches you getting 20% less Assault units when compared to Grunts of 5 (4 / 5 = .2).

The devs can fix this and some of the general disadvantage of Assault units by making each Deploy (150 cost) spawn 5 Assaults instead of 4. The additional cost then has to be from difference in base stats and not because you get 20% less units.

PS - I added a video to the original post above showing how Assault can be used as replacement for Grunts. In what I played for this, they just carry higher risk of running out of Munitions and have much slower Deploy Cooldown. In terms of fighting ability, they destroy things faster than Grunts. Both need the protection of Riots regardless.
            Last edited by cusman; 06-14-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Maus_1908
              Maus_1908 commented
              Editing a comment
              I can follow your maths on this one , good explanation thankyou. I use diamond minimum wage on both (39% price cut), no army surplus. I think the price difference for me is so high in my calculations (92 vs 41) because the grunt has unlocked a medal decreasing spawn cost by 20% and my assaults do not have such a medal.

Without the medal advantage the results show a more fair comparison I definitely agree., but I feel the medal has to count in the calculations since these are the actual numbers I am getting in battle.
              Last edited by Maus_1908; 06-14-2018, 01:55 PM.

• cusman
              cusman commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah, that 20% cost reduction medal on the Grunts makes a big difference. They also have the faster deploy cool down. The Assault units are just pathetic in comparison and the developers have thus far failed to make any attempts to improve the balance between the choice of Grunts or Assaults.

• Maus_1908
              Maus_1908 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like your idea of spawning 5 assaults as well, maybe even throw in a medal to make grunts and assaults more competitive. Have a good one C!

Cusman Posted - Oh yeah, that 20% cost reduction medal on the Grunts makes a big difference. They also have the faster deploy cool down. The Assault units are just pathetic in comparison and the developers have thus far failed to make any attempts to improve the balance between the choice of Grunts or Assaults.

Grunts don't shred walls and structures like Assault do though. Grunts aren't as fast as Assault either. Assault can do alot more damage with a focus fire or a distraction like a Decoy than grunts can.

Assault units also level up much faster and more reliably than grunts do, which means up to 2 full bar life refreshers for them and improved stats more often from the vet status. I use grunts frequently but even so I only have 157 grunt vets for my accolades trophy I have 1,662 assault vets already, despite the fact I've been using grunts more.

Its a tricky unit to balance. On one hand they seem to be a bit overpriced and squishy despite the fact they have double the life the grunts do. On the other hand, their damage output is very impressive. Do they need a buff? Maybe, I'm not so sure personally. At any rate they need to be careful not to overdo it. Right now I view them as sort of a glass cannon, which is maybe what the devs envisioned them as being when they created them.

Comment

• cusman
              cusman commented
              Editing a comment
              They definitely do faster damage (once they close in on range disadvantage) and move faster than Grunts. They also stay closer together as they move forward while Grunts tend to fan out more. Another thing, since they have shorter range, they get in front of your other units better than Grunts. So they get in front of a Sergeant more consistently while Grunts might let Sergeant be in front more. Makes me think Assault might be better choice than Grunts when using Flamers & Chemist as well.

On the Accolades Medal, Grunts were my first (and only so far) to get it. During the last Special Operation where we were encouraged to use tons of Grunts, I did just that and that lead to the Medal. This current Special Operation is having me use Assaults and due to their general weakness compared to Grunts, I think the will be much slower to get Accolades.

Of course we can have very different play styles and maybe I need to adapt to using Assaults better. Initially I started with just moving all Grunts Perks to the Assault. So far only change I have made is to replace Poison Bullets with Bloodthirst which I think suits them better. The other change I think they need is a Rapid Deployment perk because they spawn much slower rate than Grunts without one.

I don't normally run rapid deployment on my assault, they don't really need it. In terms of the event though, I think you're right, rapid deployment is crucial for completing the mission faster.

Comment

• cusman
              cusman commented
              Editing a comment
              I have been doing okay without using any Rapid Deployment on mine. Sticking with Minimum Wage (Legendary), Damage (Legendary or Ultra depending on Steam or PSN), and Speed (Legendary or Ultra depending on Steam or PSN).

I suppose I could swap out Damage for Rapid Deployment, but I like how quickly the Assault units are accumulating Veteran status towards Accolades. Already got 1000+ out of the 5000 needed in just a few days since Assault Strike started.

Does "Volunteer" double the progress bar?

Comment

Originally posted by leowtyx View Post
              Does "Volunteer" double the progress bar?
              No, but gives you thirty 30% chance of spawning 5 Assault units instead of the normal 4 that would spawn with each deployment.

Comment

Working...
              X