X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base Blocking is a Garbage Play

Base blocking is not a strategy, it is cheating in my estimation. I am curious how the developers feel about this exploit. At the very least it is poor gamesmanship, because it limits the flow of specials, and specials are the only way a player can influence an attack. It's a pretty boring game, if all you can do is sit and watch your troops go through the meat-grinder. I have started making a list of players that use this cheat, and I don't attack their bases again. I have some ideas for fixing this problem... Reward specials for destroying tent troops and structures, and only munitions to the grunts and assault units generated from the base. You could also call it a stalemate, if the troop transport truck isn't destroyed by the end of the time limit. In such cases, the base would receive no munitions, cards or perks for the defense. If the developers intended base blocking as a strategy, it is a poor choice. I think players who encounter bases that use base blocking should list them on the forum, so that we don't have to waste our time attacking them. So far there are four players on my list that I won't attack, and oddly they keep popping up over and over on my list of bases to attack, which brings up another question. Why isn't there better random generation on the attack list?

What exactly is "base blocking" ?

Comment

Putting up walls directly in front of your base entrance to prevent the generation of grunts and assault troops. This is done to prevent the attacker from getting additional specials by destroying these troops.

Comment

Well I can tell you this "strategy" was'nt intentional and that we don't like this exploit. We do intend on removing the incentive for people to block their base in the first place, and I'd expect something that eliminates this as a successful strategy in a future update.

I actually did this on my own base to test out the exploit, but I'm going to remove it and I'd suggest others do the same. Not my area of expertise, but perhaps community shame will work until an in game fix can happen.
        @GreatJobJeremy
        https://twitter.com/GreatJobJeremy

Comment

The problem is if you don't use this "exploit" you basically get run over every time you are attacked. They need to change the mechanic of the game on how specials are delivered during the attack.

In reality is just stupid to have grunts and rangers running down the field giving your opponent specials and munitions. I'm not sure what the developers were thinking having these low-level weak guys free spawn out of your headquarters. If they at least took up defensive positions they'd be a little bit better than they are now.

I would like to see minimum wage perk neuter the drops in PVP attack mode. Right now the perked is nothing in defensive gameplay that would be a fix.

Comment

• Kumiankka98
            Kumiankka98 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's the point man! The job of those Grunt and Assaults is to help defend your base and also give the attacker 1 special per wave to make the fight fair for the attacker.

• Bartek2468
            Bartek2468 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sadly, there is nothing "fair" about it. 4 grunts and 4 assaults can't kill anything, but they do drop cards which CAN and WILL hurt the defender. So basically, they intended (I assume) to make the fight fair as you stated, but it currently blows up in defender's face. As a result an attacker is able to blow up pretty much every base he'll come across by simply waiting (collecting gas, decoy's and focus fire cards). Was that the purpose of PVP? I refuse to believe that.

First of all, troops from HQ are basically useless against other units other than themselves. Besides, attacking a base with grunts is suicide against heavily defended bases (towers, bunkers). I've destroyed bases that block HQ. They are not invincible. Moreover, you can carry up to 8 specials into a battle.

Personally, I couldn't care more if someone uses it or not. But since we are planning on getting rid of exploits, we should also get rid of choke point and barb wires exploits. As this is the key factor why so many people lose PVP battles.

As for people who love to complain about losing or some stupid exploit, the simple way to beat a heavy fortified base is:

1. Keep up a high troop count
          2. Keep your forces together
          3. Have some heavy fire power units in the mix.

If your troop count goes down too low, you won't have enough troops to sustain an overpowering attack.
          By keeping your troops together, you multiply your firepower - which knocks out bases really quick.
          Having heavy firepower can really chew up towers and bunkers and make quick work of them.

However, the exploit against this strategy is... the choke point that grinds your forces into mince meat of course.
          But always carry sufficient munition into battle - especially against heavily fortified bases.

Now with that being said, there is an inherent flaw in how troops find and detect enemy units.
          For example, one player created a cove on the top of the map and surrounded all 3 side with walls and placed a bunker and tower facing the entrance.
          My forces disembarked the truck at the bottom of the screen and as they came towards the main entrance of the base, they started to head toward the top of the map where the cove was (and away from the base entrance).

My forces could NOT see the enemy forces inside the cove because it was walled off (otherwise, they would have shot through splits in the walls).
          As soon as I saw the troops heading to the top, I deployed a rally flag to the bottom of the map.
          The troops ignored the rally flag, entered the cove, went the distance, engaged and destroyed the enemy forces, then returned back to the center and bottom of the map.
          The rally flag had long expired by then.

Newly arriving reinforcements did not enter the cove - because something told them that all forces in that sector was destroyed I suppose.

This leads me to believe that the forces are programmed to attack forces wherever they are, even if they are not visible to the troops, and to ignore any commands during that process.

Having troops going AWOL on a direct order can be costly. And I think it is a serious flaw.

For example, upon entering a base my troops came under heavy bunker and sniper fire, but they chose not to engage those units. Instead, they turned their backs to the incoming fire and chose to engage the mortars that were adjacent to them (obliviously, detection and engagement of nearest enemy unit regardless of if they are returning fire or are an immediate threat). And in that process, they all got mowed down because they were not returning fire.

Comment

Originally posted by theAskACapper View Post

In reality is just stupid to have grunts and rangers running down the field giving your opponent specials and munitions.
            Well, I suppose they don't think it's stupid to them so that's why they are going to get rid of blocked HQ. Yeah, that's not real smart thinking - just assign random perks when you blow stuff up.

While I still like this game... I wonder how long I'm going to like it for.

One strategy was managing my munitions carefully so that I could have as much of it left over after a battle. The whole game basically runs on munitions - and now they won't give it back to you after a battle. But I suppose everything in life is a phase. One day I'll move on.

Comment

Has anybody played CPU defense? What is the point of having grunts and assaults?

Comment

Using choke points for defense is actual historical military strategy. Read up on the Battle of Thermopylae for an excellent example. Barb wire is a fact of life in warfare, and there are perks and cards for mitigating it's effects. Using a glitch in the game does not represent any kind of strategy, other than the application of cheating and poor gamesmanship. Especially, when you know that this was not the developers' intent. Bases that use this cheat can be defeated, but conversely, bases that don't use this cheat can be successfully defended, if you know how to employ sound military strategy. For those who chose the high ground of good gamesmanship, I have started a list of players, that I have encountered using the Base Blocking Cheat. At the moment it is a short list, but I will continue to build the "List of Shame" as I encounter more cheaters. List of Shame: CJDOG666, JERRYSGHOST, ALPHA-NEBULA, ANDERLOB33, YUJINN75.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNever View Post
                  Has anybody played CPU defense? What is the point of having grunts and assaults?

Yes, I've played CPU defense a lot, and the grunts and assault troops become targets for attacking troops, taking the pressure off your structures, and buying you time to repair them, and regenerate new tent troops. In the context of this mode, they are actually quite useful.

Comment

Overall, the primary thing that would make this game better, would be to give the player more control over troop movements beyond the specials. The current AI is terribly frustrating at times, clear a path to avert a trap, and then watch half of your troops go the wrong way regardless. And why do troops seem to think that exploding fuel barrels make good cover? A reconnaissance flyover of the base before the battle, would give you a better sense of how best to conserve and use specials during an assault. This is after all, how actual military missions are generally planned.

Comment

Originally posted by jray-sd View Post
                      Well I can tell you this "strategy" was'nt intentional and that we don't like this exploit. We do intend on removing the incentive for people to block their base in the first place, and I'd expect something that eliminates this as a successful strategy in a future update.

I actually did this on my own base to test out the exploit, but I'm going to remove it and I'd suggest others do the same. Not my area of expertise, but perhaps community shame will work until an in game fix can happen.
                      This 'strategy' or 'exploit', whatever you call it, is a must-have if you don't want the base to stand any chance against attackers. This is caused by poor game design. Most people chose not to use the sandbag glitch/exploit before the fix. That's because you won't have a game-breaking disadvantage when not using it.

Comment

My base defense record is 50/50, without using the HQ Blocking Cheat. Doesn't anyone know how to design a decent defense strategy without cheating? Furthermore, nothing is lost by having your base defeated. You actually get rewards for being attacked, so really it is just an ego trip. But how can anyone take any pride in winning by cheating?

Comment

A lot of words, but it all comes down to this:

Close your HQ and have the attacker deal with your base using up to 5 cards he took with him into battle.

OR

Don't close your HQ and allow the attacker to sit back and wait till he builds up a solid stack of cards from pointless worthless grunt/assault attacks from the HQ, so after a few minutes he can faceroll over your base.

I was one of those people at first too, who were against it. Then I saw my base getting owned in a few 10min matches, just by waiting and collecting attack cards. Like I stated in my other post, when we get an option to choose which units to spawn from the HQ (jray-sd) I'll be the first to unblock my HQ.
                          Btw nobody cares for your "List of Shame", most of the high level bases block their HQ's, get over it.

Comment

• DrBGood
                            DrBGood commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You wouldn't bother to defend your actions or mention the "List of Shame," if somewhere deep inside you weren't just a little bit ashamed that you can't win without cheating.

• Bartek2468
                            Bartek2468 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well that's a matter of opinion I guess. You call it a cheat, I call it a quick-temp-fix for badly working game mechanics. How so? Because the purpose of the HQ units in the first place was to support the defense, not to hinder it. Like I said, when they will fix this issue and units will start doing what they were meant to be doing I'll definitely reconsider. I'm not defending my actions, I'm just trying to explain my reasoning. I'm not glad this currently is a sad necessity either.

I agree with you DrBGood! The HQ blocking is cheating.

Comment

Working...
                          X